Barnstaple Hotel Access Statement
Welcome to The Barnstaple Hotel
We are committed to creating great memories and experiences for all our guests. We hope you will find this access information useful and that it helps to make your visit an enjoyable one.
We are aware that everyone’s needs are different, so if there is any detail you are looking for that is not covered in the information below, then please do get in touch and we will be happy to help. And of course, our friendly and experienced team will be on hand to assist you at any point during your stay with us.
Some general points on access
- This Hotel does not have lift access to its bedrooms.
- The conference / function facilities are accessed from either the ramped main Reception entrance or a separate entrance with three steps and a hand rail.
- Our first floor function room, the Taw Suite, located in the main hotel is accessed by two flights of stairs (13 steps in the first flight, six in the second).
Directions to the hotel
- Exit the M5 at Junction 27 and take the A361 to Barnstaple.
- At Barnstaple take the 1st exit on to the A39, signposted Bideford and Bude.
- At Bishops Tawton Roundabout take the 2nd exit onto the A39.
- At the Lake Roundabout (Second Roundabout) take the 2nd exit onto the A361 signposted Barnstaple and Ilfracombe.
- At Sticklepath Junction continue forward onto the A361 signposted Ilfracombe.
- At the end of the bridge stay in the left hand lane and you will see The Barnstaple Hotel on your left.
- To reach us, you then take the first left off Braunton Road on the A361.
- Our postcode is EX31 1LE.
Before you arrive
- Enquiries and reservations may be made online or by telephone, fax or email.
- Should you require a taxi from Barnstaple Railway or Bus Station (both 10 minutes drive) we use a reliable company and would be happy to book them on your behalf.
When you arrive at the hotel
- There is an undercover drop off point at the main entrance to the hotel.
- There are two designated disabled parking spaces in the car park at the front of the hotel and there is also plenty of general car parking all on the level.
- Entrance to the main Reception of the hotel is from a level parking area via a ramp.
- Porters are always available to assist you and, if you wish, your luggage can be collected from your car and delivered direct to your room. A porter can also help you upon departure.
Our Reception area
- The floor is carpeted.
- The Reception area is all on one level on the ground floor.
- Our staff are always available to help you with check-in.
- All corridors are well lit and carpeted.
- The Heanton bar / lounge is on one level and accessible from the main entrance.
- The Brassiere Restaurant can be accessed by two steps from the main corridor or either ramped access or two steps from the bar / lounge.
- There are three various sized conference / function rooms on the ground floor. The Ashford (with its own bar) and Pilton Suite have level access off the main Reception corridor. The Arlington Suite (also with its own bar) has stepped and fixed ramped access.
- All doors in these areas are on auto closures.
- Our disabled toilet is situated on the ground floor with easy access from Reception, Heanton lounge / bar and Brassiere Restaurant.
- The disabled toilet is fitted with an emergency alarm.
- Ladies and gents toilets are on the ground floor adjacent to the disabled toilet.
The Brassiere Restaurant
- There is ample movable seating and there are chairs with or without arms available.
- There is background music in most areas. This can be adjusted if requested.
- Service is a mixture of self service and table service. Full waiter service is provided if required.
- There is a mixture of natural and artificial light in all areas.
- Of the 59 bedrooms in the hotel, 42 are on the first floor and accessed by two flights of stairs (13 steps in the first flight and six in the second).
- The further 17 bedrooms are on the ground floor and a portable shallow ramp is available to allow access over the threshold at the entrance to each of these rooms.
- We do not have adapted bathrooms but many are fitted with grab rails over the bath.
- There are telephones in all rooms and 24 hour room service is available.
- The indoor heated pool lounge area is on the ground floor and is accessed from Reception.
- Entry into the indoor pool area itself is by four steps from the pool lounge area. Level access is possible from the outdoor inner courtyard.
- Entry to the indoor pool is via metal ladders on the side of the pool.
- The outdoor pool and terrace, in the inner courtyard, are accessed by a ramped path.
- Entry to the outdoor pool is by built in shallow concrete steps.
The Gymnasium is on the ground floor. (Please enquire further through the hotel for facilities available at The Barnstaple Health & Leisure Club.)
There is outside seating to the front of the hotel, on a paved surface accessed by one step and in the inner courtyard around the outdoor pool.
Please reserve the following equipment when you make your booking. If you require anything that is not listed below, please contact us and we will do our utmost to arrange the hire on your behalf.
- Bath Seat
- Raised toilet seat
- High chair
- The fire alarm is a high pitched siren and does not have flashing lights.
- Deafguards linked to the fire alarm system are available on request for those guests with impaired hearing.
- Emergency evacuation plans are available in each room. Please ensure that you make yourself familiar with these for your own safety.
- An evacuation procedure can be agreed with guests on arrival.
- Service dogs (only) are welcome on the premises.
- Small fridges are available on request for medication.
We have tried to be as accurate and detailed as possible in our Access Statement but we are always willing to give further information on any aspect of the hotel. If you feel you have a particular query we have not covered then please do not hesitate to contact us.
We are always looking to improve our service to our guests, so please let us know if you have any comments about this access statement. We would welcome any suggestions you may have that would make your stay with us more comfortable and enjoyable.
Tel: 01271 376221
Fax: 01271 324101
The Barnstaple Hotel