The purpose of this accessibility guide is to help you make an informed decision as to whether The Barnstaple Hotel will be suitable for you and your family, friends and colleagues. We are committed to improving accessibility for all guests and visitors whatever your requirements so that you can enjoy your stay with us. We hope that you find this information useful and beneficial.
However, we are aware that everyone’s needs are different, so if you have any questions or if there is anything not covered in the information that follows, please do not hesitate to get in touch and we will be happy to assist you. And of course, our friendly and experienced team will be on hand to assist you at any point during your stay with us.
- For assistance prior to arrival please contact the reservations team on 01271 376221
- Reservations are open between 7am-10.30pm every day.
- We have a comprehensive website - https://barnstaplehotel.co.uk
- Our sample menus are available in a larger font on request.
- You can contact the hotel by phone, email or in person. Please email enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
- We can supply local taxi telephone numbers and there is a company in Barnstaple that has taxis suitable for less able people if required. We are happy to make a booking for you.
- There is a mobility shop in Barnstaple (approx. 3 miles from the hotel).
At a Glance
- The hotel is a building of two floors.
- The majority of bedrooms are located on the first-floor level.
- The remaining guest bedrooms are located at ground floor level with bedroom doors opening directly to open air.
- The remainder of the ground floor provides the lounge, bar, dining, meeting rooms and function areas
- Leisure facilities are provided by way of indoor and outdoor swimming pools
- There is a disabled toilet on the ground floor.
- All public rooms have plenty of natural light.
- All bedrooms and corridors are well lit with contrasting flooring and walls.
- The hotel does not allow pets unless they are assistance dogs. Assistance dogs must be registered.
- There is free wifi available throughout the hotel. Wifi can be turned off for people who suffer electrosensitivity.
- There is good mobile reception throughout the hotel and every bedroom has a telephone.
- The fire alarms are tested weekly. You will be made aware when they are if it is planned during your stay.
Getting around inside the Hotel
- The flooring is tiled.
- The height of the reception desk is 1060mm. There is seating available with a selection of sofas, armchairs and tall back seats present.
- The lighting is LED downlighting which is dimmable if required.
- Hearing loops are currently unavailable.
- All corridors are well lit and carpeted.
- The Brasserie Restaurant, Heanton Bar, Pilton Room, Ashford Suite and Arlington Suite are on the entrance level.
- There Arlington Suite is accessible via three steps or a ramp
- The Brasserie Restaurant is accessible via two steps or a ramp.
- To permit free movement, automatic door release mechanisms are used in some parts of the building. Doors fitted with this type of closure will shut if the fire alarm system operates
- The minimum width of all internal doorways is 750mm although most doors on the ground floor can be opened up to 1580mm.
- Wall sockets are located throughout the ground floor.
- There are two designated disabled parking spaces in the car park at the front of the hotel. These spaces are available to those with a blue disability badge. If the spaces aren’t available when you arrive, we can arrange to park your car for you.
- The entrance to the front of the hotel is via a ramp.
- The width of the entrance door to the hotel is 720mm although this is openable up to 1400mm.
- Porters are always available to assist you and, if you wish, your luggage can be collected from your car and delivered directly to your room. A porter can also help you upon departure.
- The main car park is 45 metres from the hotel entrance.
- There is a drop-off point at the main entrance to the hotel.
- The majority of areas on the ground floor are carpeted.
- The floor in The Brasserie is laminate.
- There is ample movable seating and there are chairs with or without arms available.
- There is background music in most areas. This can be adjusted if requested.
- Service is a mixture of buffet and table service. Full waiter service is provided if required.
- There is a mixture of natural and artificial light in all areas.
- Menus are typed clearly and can be supplied in larger text.
- Staff are happy to read and explain menus.
- All types of allergies and dietary requirements are catered for.
- The Health Club is located on the entrance level.
- The indoor heated pool is at a lower level than the entrance to the Health Club. This accessed by four steps. These steps are ??mm high.
- Measurements of the indoor pool - 14 metres x 6 metres (1 metres shallow to 1.4 metres deep)
- Entry into the indoor pool is by a built-in ladder. There is one at both ends of the pool.
- Measurements of the outdoor pool – 10 metres x 6 metres (1.1 metres shallow to 1.2 metres deep)
- Seating is available by the indoor pool.
- The outdoor pool is accessed by 7 steps. Each step into the pool is 180mm high.
- There are no lifeguards on duty.
- There are loungers around the outdoor pool and on the lawn. There are also high-backed chairs with arms and round tables on the patioed terrace with sun shades available.
- Lifesaving equipment is available in prominent positions around the indoor and outdoor pools.
- In the changing rooms, lockers are provided at eye level and lower.
- There are 19 steps up to the first floor.
- Each step is 180mm high with various depths of tread.
- There is a hand rail on both sides.
- The majority of bedrooms are located at first floor level accessed by stairs. Remaining guest bedrooms are located at ground floor level. The entry threshold height into some of these bedrooms is 180mm. Ramps are available for access.
- A Deafgard fire alarm listening device is available at reception
- The bedrooms have short pile carpets.
- All bedrooms have bedside lights - extra lighting is available on request.
- The majority of bedding is 'non-feather'. Please advise us prior to your stay of any allergies.
- All bedrooms are 'non-smoking'.
- There is a telephone available in all bedrooms.
- All bedrooms have en-suite facilities
- Plugs are available on both sides of the bed in all Double / King Size bedrooms.
- Our single beds are 3 feet, double beds are 5 feet and super king beds are 6 feet.
- The amount of space around the bed varies depending on the room type reserved. Our reservations team can discuss this with you when booking.
- The majority of beds can be split into twin beds. However, this is not possible in some bedrooms.
- Nonallergic bedding is available.
- All bedrooms have either curtains or blinds.
- All bedrooms have a full-length mirror and also a dressing table mirror.
- All bedrooms have wardrobes of various sizes.
- TV's have subtitles available.
Bathrooms and Shower rooms
- Ladies' and Gents toilets are available on the ground floor, close to bar and restaurant.
- Baby changing facilities are available in all of the toilets on the ground floor.
- There is a disabled toilet on the ground floor. This is 1.6 metres x 2.3 metres.
- The room is well lit and the floor is tiled.
- The access door opens outwards. The opening is 870mm.
- An emergency assistance alarm system is installed.
- Two supporting grab rails are provided.
- The toilet flush is a paddle type design for ease of use.
- The toilet is at a specific height to make it easier for wheelchair users to transfer and for those with mobility issues to use it without needing to bend as far.
- The wash basin is accessible to wheelchair users
- There is a lever-handle tap or a tap for ease of use.
- Accessible shower room facilities are available in a selection of hotel bedrooms.
Please reserve the following equipment when you make your booking. If you require anything that is not listed below, please contact us and we will do our utmost to arrange the hire on your behalf.
- Bath seat
- High Chair
- Some bedrooms have minibars, suitable for the storage of medication and the hotel will endeavour to allocate these on requests of this facility.
- Mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs can be charged near reception.
- The fire alarm is a continuous sounder and does not have flashing lights.
- Deafgards linked to the fire alarm system are available on request for those guests with impaired hearing.
- Fire action notices are available in each room. Please ensure that you make yourself familiar with these for your own safety.
- A personal emergency evacuation plan can be agreed upon arrival with guests.
This website (barnstaplehotel.co.uk/) is run by Percy R Brend & Sons (Hoteliers) Ltd. We aim to provide a website that is accessible to a wide audience, regardless of technology or ability.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We are always looking to improve the accessibility of this website and welcome any suggestions users might have to help us do so. If you feel that we are not meeting your accessibility requirements, please contact email@example.com.
We have tried to be as accurate and detailed as possible in our Accessibility Guide but we are always willing to give further information on any aspect of the hotel. If you feel you have a particular query we have not covered then please do not hesitate to contact us.
We are always looking to improve our service to our guests, so please let us know if you have any comments about this guide. We would welcome any suggestions you may have that would make your stay with us more comfortable and enjoyable.