5 things you need to know about Barnstaple Fair and Carnival Week
12th September 2017
5 things about Barnstaple Fair and Carnival Week
13th - 16th September 2017
1. Barnstaple Fair Carnival has been held in the town since 1931 and has run for 71 consecutive years this year. Barnstaple Fair, operated by the Showman’s Guild of Great Britain, is the largest in the West Country and it is tradition for the Carnival to follow this event.
2. The Fair proclamation, held at the Guildhall, on the Wednesday prior to the Carnival, this year 13th September 2017, is a prestigious event attended by the Mayor, Town Clerk, Chief Executive of North Devon council, the Chief of Police and many other dignitaries as well as representatives from local businesses and organisations they have an annual luncheon every year with us here at The Barnstaple Hotel.
3. The Fair is opened at 3pm on Wednesday 13th September 2017 and runs until late Saturday 16th September 2017.
4. On Saturday 16th September 2017 - There'll be plenty to enjoy throughout the day with stalls and events on The Strand and Square from 12 noon where you will be able to find Top Notch Event Catering's (Brend Hotels outside catering service) serving up scrumptious pork baps!
5. The timetable for carnival day on Saturday is:
2.45pm - Judging for children's procession
3.30pm - Children's procession starts from the Hertiage Centre
4.00pm - Judging for the main procession
5.15pm - Crowning of Carnival Queen
6.00pm - Main procession starts
8.00pm - Firework display